Friday, June 18, 2010

What's in a Name?




Well, I have never been a blogger before this and after reading numerous blogs out there, I wondered if it really was such a good idea to actually share my innermost feelings and views with the world. Come to think of it, I think it does make sense to actually do it so that people like me who love to read just about anything will actually start reading what I have written, so here we go. 

Its never too late to start something new. 

For starters, if you are wondering how I coined the name of this Blog and my profile, you ought to know its history. It all goes back to about a year ago when I first became a father back in early July of 2009, when I myself turned 40. For the average baby boomer this might seem like a delayed fatherhood but then again, as they say, life begins at 40 and I guess I decided to become a father when my life actually began in the first place. 

My adorable little baby boy was born on a bright sunny morning of the 2nd of July 2009 in the city of Bangalore and that was the real moment of truth when I began to realize what I have been missing out in life all these years of my own existence, sheer bliss. He was a puny little guy just like most new born babies but with these big expressive eyes just like those of my dear wife and the very first time when I held him in my arms, I knew my life had changed, for the better. In order to name our son, like most families, my mother-in-law had consulted our family astrologer. We had very limited options and we wanted to have a simple name that was easy to remember, pronounce and had a strong meaning. 

After a bit of discussion and deliberation we finally named our Son, Rishi, which according to the Hindu system means the 'first ray of the sun' when it's about to rise. My profile name is therefore named RiseNShine and Rishi is the short form of that phrase. The name of this particular blog 'ChipsAhoy' is a new coinage from the phrase ShipsAhoy (Term used in Hailing when a ship arrives or is seen). And why Chips, well this goes back to an important episode in my son's life. 

My wife's little niece Simran (Sims) who has come to really adore the little guy, while playing with him one day commented, 'Deepa aunty, Rishi is really like Chips, you cant stop eating them enough'. So we thought it was very cute and hence decided to keep it as our son's new petname 'Chips'. And the the word Ahoy means to hail as in an enthusiastic greeting of somebody's arrival. 

One a serious note, when I really think through this word 'Chips' which apart from meaning a slice of Potato fried in oil, it also means a fragment of something broken off from a whole and it fits perfectly right, because my Son, Rishi come to think of it is actually a small fragment of something broken off of me as a whole. In closing, as my son turns 1 year old this July, from here going forward I'm going to dedicate this Blog to my most priceless possession, my son Rishi or Chips. 

 In the days to come, depending on my mood swings and inclination, I will be posting blogs about my son, my wife, my life and experiences with food, films, music, travel and my dear old friends. ChipsAhoy!


2 comments:

  1. All through my life, I have been eating chips but never ever gave it a thought. Today after reading your blog it has changed my outlook not only to chips but to everything.Your deep thoughts have given a new meaning to my thought process and I am sure it is going to change my views and actions in real life, as I understand I too am a part of my parents to whom I owe everything and to my child who in turn is a part of me.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts and look forward to reading more from your side.
    Regards,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rise and shine sounds apt.
    Cannot disagree on the concept,actual life starts at 40.
    The analogy of potato and chips as to father and son is interesting.
    Good luck with more writing.

    Regards
    Poorna.

    ReplyDelete